Applicants who were shortlisted by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation to fill positions for the experienced cadre have alleged that the management of the organisation abandoned them after conducting a secret recruitment exercise.
The applicants made the allegation in an open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari.
The applicants said they were contacted by the NNPC since June 2019 when they sat for the recruitment exams.
While those who applied as graduate trainees had already been employed, those who sought employment in the corporation as experienced cadre have yet to be contacted.
Parts of the open letter written by the embattled applicants to President Buhari read, “In March 2019, the then NNPC GMD, Dr Maikanti Baru (now deceased) with his management team that included the current GMD, Mallam Mele Kyari, through various national newspapers, placed advertisements welcoming applications to vacancies in different positions involving graduate trainees and experienced hires after the needs assessment of the corporation.
“By June 1, 2019, a CBT aptitude test was conducted nationwide for the over 60,000 candidates shortlisted in an open and transparent manner monitored by leading television stations.
“After assessment, about 10,000 candidates passed the test and were scheduled for interviews between July 1 and 10, 2019 at the NNPC Towers Abuja conducted by the different corporation’s technical panels.”
The applicants said the previous management of the NNPC was following up with the recruitment exercise until the new GMD, Mele Kyari, took over and since then, no one has communicated with them.
The applicants said several attempts by civil society organisations to get the NNPC to complete the exercise proved abortive, while advertorials and open letters to Kyari were ignored.
The letter to President Buhari added, “The GMD, Mallam Mele Kyari, appeared on the monthly webinar programme, the June edition of the Nigerian Association of Petroleum Explorationists, and several questions about this lingering incomplete recruitment were posed.
“He responded that the ‘experienced hire candidates will be contacted as soon as possible’. Till date, this pledge has not been fulfilled and still (there’s) no communication or any form of contact with the affected candidates, who are very qualified Nigerian young professionals, who have been assessed and interviewed by the highest technical organ of the corporation itself.”
According to the applicants, they have used various social media platforms to cry out to the President, Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, and the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva.
The applicants added that they are hearing that secret recruitment had taken place and only the relatives of Very Important Persons were hired.
They urged the President to live up to his promise to fight corruption in the country by ensuring that the recruitment process was concluded transparently.