Nigeria’s former military Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon (rtd), has reacted to the allegation that he stole half of the country’s central bank when he moved to the United Kingdom on exile after his overthrow in July 1975.
Gowon has replied the British lawmaker who accused him of leaving Nigeria with half of CBN in 1975.
The former military head of state denied the allegation, described it as “rubbish” and “untrue”.
Tom Tugendhat, a British lawmaker, had made the allegation when he and his colleagues were debating a petition regarding the #EndSARS protest.
Tom Tugendhat, a member of the British parliament, made the allegation on Monday, November 23, when British lawmakers debated a petition calling for sanctions against Nigeran government officials allegedly involved in human rights abuses amid the #EndSARS protests.
The former head of state said he served Nigeria diligently and the record is there for everyone to see. He added that he did not know who sponsored the lawmaker to make such allegation against him.
The former Nigerian leader added that he would not want to speak further on the issue as those who know him well understand that the allegation is not true.
Gowon ruled Nigeria from 1966 to 1975.
He was overthrown while away at Kampala, Uganda attending a summit of the Organisation of African Unity.
It was from there he moved to England to become a student at Warwick University where he studied Political science and International relations.
Meanwhile, Senator Shehu Sani had earlier countered the allegation made by the UK parliament.
This is a lie – Shehu Sani said in his reaction to claims by UK lawmaker who alleged that Yakubu Gowon looted half of CBN Gowon.
Sani who described the claim as outright falsehood said Gowon left office without amassing wealth.
He tweeted: “Gowon exited power without any evidence of wealth & that remains, for over four decades after power.”