A Coalition of Civil Society Groups has announced suspension of a mass rally to demand for the sack of embattled Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami.
A statement by Ibrahim Ahmadu and Osakwe Chigozie Michael, National Convener and Co-Convener, respectively said the rally expected to hold on Tuesday (today) was shelved due to security reasons and the fear that it could be hijacked by hoodlums.
The statement further disclosed that a new date will be announced for the shelved mass rally.
” The proposed rally against Minister of Communications, Dr. Isa Pantami is hereby postponed till further notice after due consultations and consideration with adequate advice in line with security tips.
“While we regret the unfortunate call off, we avail ourselves this opportunity to inform our members to exercise patience and keep the spirit alive upon a viable and visible date for it.
” We regret all inconveniences.”
Checks revealed that the Minister of Communications has been accused of alleged link with the extremist group, Al-Queda and having sympathy for Taliban.
Audio recordings of Mr Pantami’s past teachings where he declared support for Al-Qaeda and Taliban resurfaced last week, with many Nigerians calling for his removal.
Mr Pantami, an Islamic cleric, denied any links with the groups.
He, however, admitted making the controversial statements supporting the groups but said that his views on such extremist groups have changed.